Because the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) attempts to audit tax returns in a timely manner, most of the time the IRS audits a return within three years of the date you filed it. However, if a substantial error is found on your tax return 2013 and the IRS chooses to audit you, the IRS can decide to audit additional years as well. Usually, when the IRS finds a substantial error, at most, they will audit your returns from the last six years.

The Statute of Limitations

If the IRS audits you for an older tax return, the statute of limitations for the assessment of your tax return may need to be extended. This statute limits the amount of time that the IRS has to assess additional tax. Generally, this statute of limitations is three years after the due date or the filing date of your return, whichever of these dates is later. A statute of limitations is also in place for making refunds.

If the statute of limitations date is approaching, the IRS may request that you extend the date of the statute to allow them additional time. While you are not required to extend the date of the statute, if you do not, the examiner will have to make his determination using only the information he already has. If you have additional documentation, it may be beneficial for you to agree to an extension.

Doing so also allows you to:

  • Request an appeal if you disagree with the results of the audit.
  • Provide more documentation to support your position.
  • Claim a tax credit or refund.

Amending Your Tax Return 2013

If you discover that you made a mistake on your already filed tax return 2013, you may need to amend it.

The type of mistake determines what steps you need to take, if any:

  • If you neglect to attach a required schedule, the IRS will contact you.
  • If you have made mathematical errors, you probably do not need to amend your tax return 2013. The IRS corrects these errors while processing tax returns.
  • You should file a corrected/amended tax return 2013 using Tax Form 1040X – Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return if you neglected to claim a credit or report all of your income.

Filing Your Amended Return

You need to include copies of all your corrected schedules or W-2 forms that were not included with your initial tax return 2013. Usually to receive a refund or credit, your amended return must be filed within the three years following the filing date of your initial return or within two years of the date that you paid the tax, whichever date is later. The IRS usually processes amended returns within 8 to 12 weeks.

If you need assistance with anything related to taxes, contact Advanced Tax Solutions. We can ease your mind by helping you resolve any problems that involve the IRS.